Primary Research and Quality Insights on Foods, Flavors & Ingredients
the menus of chain and independent restaurants
Products and Services offered by Foodservice Research Institute
More Chains, More Insights
MenuMine, a menu information database for use by Marketing and Culinary R&D, provides a new perspective on menu item and flavor usage trends.
- 145k+ Unique menu items cataloged by up to 120 unique characteristics.
- Sample base of 1475 operations
- MenuMine is unparalleled for data relevance and insight.
- Category Incidence Trending and Market Size Projections.
- Menu Price Trends go back to 1996
- Dynamic Drill Down Spreadsheets and Chain BenchMarking
Determine Market Share for your brand and all competitors
Brand Equity Share Trends®, The BEST Report®, is a comprehensive source of information to be used in market planning and tracking.
- Best Reports provide information on market size and brand share for all competing brands within specific product categories.
- Each BEST Report contains market size and brand share information analyzed for thirteen chain, independent and institutional segments and four geographic regions.
- For seventeen years now (since 1992) the BEST Report has been the most accurate and cost effective way to monitor market size changes and to determine best trends and patterns of foodservice product categories.
Valuable Menu Data for Sales Propositions
Category Insights adds value and relevance to your sales presentation. Category Insights comes from an objective and well respected third party. Within the confines of a one or two page document, a wealth of valuable information can be provided to chain management, DSR's or brokers about any food, flavor or ingredient on the menu. Category Insights examines and summarizes trends in menu incidence, flavor variety/assortment shares, category price trends, leading item types, cuisine positioning, key menu parts, new item additions, recent LTO's and many more. The content of MenuMine Category Insights is totally up to you. Tell us what you need and give us a few hours to prepare.
Menu Intelligence Reports examines current usage in multiple contexts including patterns by menu part, cuisine of item, protein type, market segment as well as associated foods and flavors. Menu Intelligence Reports generally consist of 30 to 50 tables and graphs in PowerPoint format. Source Data is provided in Excel spreadsheet format. Subscribers to MenuMine get the added benefit of accessing MenuMine Custom Queries in order to track and build on the data development process.
Monthly updates on New Items and LTO's
Chains are constantly adding new menu items and promoting Limited Time Offers. Monthly email reports keep you informed. More than 4,000 new items have been added to menus of the Top 500 chains in 2009. But, 2,200 menu items have been deleted from Top 500 chains in 2009. New items that are to earn a permanent status on the menu must meet various criteria for success. Use MenuMine to thoroughly research each chain, market segment practices and menu item trends.
A monthly mailing containing the most recently announced LTO's sold by the top 500 chains.
Compare a Single Chain Menu to Competitive Set
BenchMark Reports thoroughly examine the menu of any given restaurant chain up against a competitive set of five other chains.
Analysis compares the performance of the Target Chain to the Competitive Set. Variables include:
- Menu Part (Appetizers, Sandwiches, Entrees, Burgers, Salads and Sides)
- Cuisine of Menu Item
- Protein by Type/Cut within each menu part
- Cooking Method by Protein Type
- Leading Item Analysis
- Menu Price Analysis plus many more.
Reports focus on "What is the Target Chain doing that is unique" and "What are Competitive Chains doing that the Target Chain should consider adopting? Chain BenchMark reports may be custom designed for use by individual chains or by manufacturers and associations selling to chains.
Protein Positioning on the Menu by Entree and Item Type Chicken and Beef are the largest volume proteins, as well as the most frequently menued on American restaurant menus. Individually, Beef and Chicken are each listed on approximately one of every four entrees, whether Center of the Plate (COP) or Prepared Entrees (PE).